Re: DNS: Points for disscussion at the meeting 16\05\97

From: Greg Slapp <fnq§ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:20:40 +1000
Nick Andrew wrote:

> Forwarding a message from whippet:
> > The following a relevent points for discussion at the upcoming
> > meeting re dns allocations
>
> I don't think so. You would like to involve everybody in your
> private feud. The DNS forum is not a forum for resolution of
> disputes. It isn't even for discussion of domain policies like that
> which connect.com.au is evidently following. It is all about the
> management of the .au namespace, which is not directly relevant to
> your problem.

The comments raised by whippet are quite valid and I think that you
have been uneccessarily rude to him/her.

Your superficial response highlights the overwhelming pre-occupation
with the technical aspects of domain name delegation without
consideration of legal or commercial perspectives.

Whippet's problem should be a discussion point for the DNS forum,
since it highlights the lack of control or guidance being offered to
those taking the commercial perogative of registering a virtual trading
name.

"Management of the namespace" involves responsibility as well as
authority, and it requires an empathy with the legal issues that affect
those who participate in it.

I don't really care whether whippet has applied for .net.au, .com.au,
or any other possible variant. My concern is that there does not
appear to be an avenue of appeal, let alone a framework for
interpreting the rights of the various parties. The DNS forum should
take this issue on board as a relevant aspect of the environment they
are determining the management principles for.

Anything less, and it will just be another bunch of pointy heads
getting together to discuss a utopian expectation of life in
cyberspace without the annoying interference of reality.

Regards,
Greg

Greg Slapp & Sandi Poefinger
Port Douglas Internet Services
Far North Queensland, Australia

Email: fnq&#167;ozemail.com.au
Web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~tropical/pdis1.html
Ph: 070 99 3033  Mobile: 0419 641 215  Fax: 070 99 3683

National Marketing Co-Ordinator
Australasian Web Publishers Association
http://www.awpa.asn.au/