Re: DNS: ADNA Memoranda & Articles

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 12:42:36 +0900
>What is wrong with qld.com.au, sa.com.au, nsw.com.au, law,com.au,
>fish.com.au ? Then you could have fred.fish.com.au - Freds Fish Shop !

In specific terms - an ISP in Adelaide (other than us - rats) already
registered sa.com.au before the com.au policy was  changed to specifically
prohibit registrations of this type at this time.

In general terms - because if we encourage our customers to understand the
merits of web search engines and global directory systems, then just maybe
we'll help the mythical average Internet user understand that using the DNS
as a directory is a broken concept that won't ultimately scale. Yes, I know
that in practice people don't yet care about this point - it just makes me
feel better to make it.

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777