Re: DNS: ADNA Memoranda & Articles

From: Leni Mayo <leni§access.ais.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:06:08 +1000
Simon Hackett wrote:
> Look, biz.au was, and is, partly a straw-man to push the point that the
> lack of competition in com.au is a bad thing. That statement is still true
> and is at the heart of some of the issues around why ADNA (or something)
> needs to exist.

Agreed, and though I've come fairly late to the discussion, I was
surprised to find only one objective in the M&A that specifically
relates to competition:

        to provide and monitor the capacity of
        Domain Name Administrators to operate fairly in
        competition with each other in the delivery and
        registration of Domain Names in Australia;

Seems like this is a bit light on detail and begs questions about ADNA's
objectives, including:
1.  Does ADNA intend to provide/ensure/promote or monitor
    competition?  This isn't clear.
2.  Specifically what powers and operational functions are
    required to carry out (1).
3.  Will ADNA have a role jump-starting competition and what
    role will it have after there's a competitive marketplace
    of DNAs for SLDs?

I'd like to suggest changes to the M&A but I'm not aware of a
consensus around these issues.

Leni.