Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Kate Lance <clance§connect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:56:10 +1000 (EST)
Peter Gerrand wrote:

> Let me puncture the stereotype that commercial users of the Internet in
> Australia are limited to com.au within .au.  You will find them well
> represented in net.au, org.au and asn.au as well as in (of course)
> com.au. The ADNA Board's unanimous decision on Monday was
> QUOTE "that in 1997 ADNA give priority to Second Level Domains for the
> business community." UNQUOTE
>
> Melbourne IT insists on fair and equitable treatment in opening up a
> competitive DN market for the Australian business community.  All
> relevant Second Level Domains will need to be opened up for competition
> under multiple DNAs, in the same time frame.

net.au has a broad constituency, many of whom decided to seek net.au
names because of its different rules and processes from com.au,
especially during difficult periods with com.au registrations.  It has
operated as an *escape-valve* for problems and matters of disagreement
with com.au's rules.

It will continue in its vital role of providing alternative namespace
diversity until (or if) ADNA can prove it is capable of even running a
Second Level Domain which, despite all the noise, is still only at the
drawing-board stage.  A demand that all other 2LDs do what M-IT insists
upon is pointless and a touch arrogant.

I guess it's going to be painful to have to re-do the stationary to
read CADNA (com au domain name authority) instead of ADNA :-), but
maybe that's what happens when you call yourself an authority when you
don't actually have any...

Kate

| Kate Lance (System Manager)                 connect.com.au pty ltd |
| clance&#167;connect.com.au                       Level 9, 114 Albert Rd |
| Tel: (03) 9251-3672                                South Melbourne |
| Fax: (03) 9251-3666                             VIC 3205 Australia |