Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:23:31 +0800
> Folks, can we sheath the claws and get on with something productive
> together? Please? I'm sure the original comment was intended as humor
> (right??)

Humour or not, it appears to be a particularly important
matter to ISOC.  ADNA has .AU as its "space".  This doesn't
mean it owns .AU, or even that it will one day own it. It
just means that it is limited to operations within .AU.

This is much the same as ISOC-AU calling itself the "Internet
Society of Australia".  Does this mean you claim all of
Australia?  I would hope not.  It means your activities are
focussed on Australia.  ADNA's activities are intended to
be focussed on .AU (after a request by Pauline at an earlier
meeting that this be the case, support by myself and many
others, since it was initially planned to be domains operating
within Australia.

A public statement that ADNA should publicly commit to only
ever operating in COM.AU is ridiculous and shortsighted.  ADNA's
immediate goal is to focus on the needs of commercial users of
the name space.  This will probably mean COM.AU, although I'd
be unsurprised if it included a recommendation to Robert Elz
that a second or third commercial 2LD was created.

MM