Re: DNS: question re M-IT: domain delegate?

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 07:20:48 +0800
> > If competition is the appropriate response, then a
> > recommendation of this should be presented to Melbourne IT. Even then,
> > M-IT will need to be satisfied that the framework is workable.

> My understanding was that Melbourne IT obtained a limited and non-exclusive
> right to operate in the .COM.AU namespace; I was not under the impression
> that they had actually become the .COM.AU delegate.

The opening words of Melbourne IT's com.au page:

    "Melbourne Information Technologies Australia Pty Ltd
     is the COM.AU Domain Name Administrator"

From their FAQ:

    "Melbourne IT has been assigned a five year non-exclusive
     delegation for administering com.au."

My understanding is that Melbourne IT's position is no different
than that of Michael Malone, Hugh Irvine or Geoff Huston.  M-IT
is the delegated authority for COM.AU.  It is non exclusive, but
I don't recall anyone ever telling me that I had "exclusive" rights
to ASN.AU either. If the 'net community wishes to start competition
in -any- domain, then we either get the cooperation of the DA, or
Robert Elz assigns another delegation to the competing parties.

So if ISOC wants to sit back and say "COM.AU only", M-IT
may decide to respond "go away and sort it out". Robert Elz
may override that decision, and assign other DA's to COM.AU,
but I very much doubt that he would do so.  We move forward
only through cooperation with the current DA's.

MM