Re: DNS: DNA Selection Criteria V3.1

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 13:46:32 +0000
At 10:48 4/08/97 +0800, you wrote:

>> >Then I'd tend to agree with David's suggestion.  Let's
>> >be blunt and label them specifically "COM.AU Criteria".
>> >Its easy to add "and OTHERCOMMERCIALTHING.AU" later.
>>
>> OK - I don't recollect David's suggestion but I am happy to declare that
>> what we are working on here to be the "Selection criteria for new DNA and
>> 2LDs for commercial domains".
>
>I think you may have misread what I wrote about.  I'd suggest
>that it be
>
>	"Selection Criteria for new DNA in COM.AU"

I think the criteria should cover commercial domains, meaning not only
com.au but other commercial 2LDs which may be created like biz.au or prod.au.

>> I would also suggest that we can now progress on the basis that *all* such
>> new DNAs will deal with *all* the initial ADNA 2LDs be they existing or new
>> as they (the domains) will all be commercially based.
>
>I don't see any need to make this assumption yet.

Because, as I stated earlier - unless we make this assumption, the criteria
we are trying to put together gets much more complicated. I must admit my
sentence above doesn't read very well, but if we allow for certain
(commercial) 2LDs to be managed by 1 or more DNAs (as opposed to all of
them) we have to deal with the prospect of all managers of a 2LD disappearing.

>MM

Just as an aside - I am beginning to think that this sort of discussion is
not the ideal forum for putting together documents like this. There is a
lot of discussion goin on but it seems to be impossible to zero in on a
final result. I think if we were all physically in the same spot discussing
this we could get it sorted out in a couple of hours. Any opinions?

Also - I was supposed to have this finalised by the end of last month which
obviously didn't happen. I don't think we will be able to submit a fate
accompli (sorry to anyone who knows how to spell this and just cringed) so
I will start work on a document which tries to set out the contenscious
issues and the various view points. Hope to have this to you guys by
tomorrow morning - running this infernal ISP is proving a bit of a
distraction. The final decisions will have to be made at the ADNA meeting
in Melbourne I guess.

Regards

--