DNS: Don Heath proposes using the $50mil NSF pool to fund IAHC

From: George Michaelson <ggm§connect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 12:17:36 +1000 (EST)
	http://info.isoc.org/whatsnew/release_hr_testimony_970930.html

 Heath also suggested that funding to support the development of the
 intellectual infrastructure needed under the IAHC plan be provided by
 using a fraction of the US$50,000,000 in the Intellectual
 Infrastructure fund that is controlled by the National Science
 Foundation and is built from a surcharge on registrations.

I asked that one on the IAHC list months back and got howled down. Howled.

My guess is that the current two Australian candidates for gTLD don't *need*
any seed funding, but they aren't going to complain if some cash is made
available for global benefit. I'd certainly support somebody  like ISC
getting some cash to fund DNS code development!

Interesting to think about the level of financial commitment and activity
for a global problem, and the rather inept process underway (or not...) here
for .AU governance...

-George