Re: DNS: Domain Registration in Australia

From: Ramin Marzbani <ramin§consultco.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:16:54 +1100
Adam Todd wrote:

> >I think you are very much out of line in suggesting that
> >""
> >> A loophole in the MelbourneIT rules is enticing ISP's to advise their
> >> customers to break the law to obtain the domain name of their choice.
> >""
> >maybe if you had a law degree you would not say such things, regardless of
> >how you or anyone else feels about this process or MelbourneIT.
>
> I agree with your comments above Ramin, it's not a "loophole" at all.  And
> any ISP who advises their clients to get a business name purley to register
> a Domain name is ingorant of the law and what a Business Name is about.

No Adam, any such ISP would simply be supporting their client get what they
need.  AND the point i was making that you did NOT see was the assertion that
MelbourneIT was advising clients to BREAK THE LAW, please re-read the quote.

> >In addition, i disagree with yout "technically illegal" comment and Adam's
> >dismissive approach.  After all, if it is so Black & White, where are the
> >Sherriffs and their deputies?  where are the hadcuffs. there is no smoke and
> >i think no fire here guys.
>
> There isn't yet, but isn't it wise to ward off such a fire.  Woudln't it be
> better to prevent the smoke from rising at all.  Eventually if the
> Government decides to enforce the law, it will be messy and very
> uncomfortable for a lot of people.

why?

> I'm sure the Tax Office is also going to be interested as you are required
> to lodge a form P (from memory) for each business name you are a partner or
> sole owner off.  Sure it can say NO INCOME, but eventually that also is
> going to be noticed.  Especially if there are 90,000 business names not
> making any money.

not really, the number of inactive businesses is way more than 90,000 check
your facts.  Dont forget, corporate fraud and illegal businesses (e.g. drug
importation) have been with us since way before the Internet.
I suspect you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Ramin