Re: DNS: Issues relating to .pr.au

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:00:26 +0900
>if they are so unrelated to geography why cant overseas companies get a
.com.au name?
>the fac tis they are not and we with any honest tell companies we can
arrange a domain
>name for you in australia when we cant.

They *are* unrelated to geography in TECHNICAL terms. What I am trying to
get across is that there is zero correspondence between the technical issue
of the physical location of a  server versus the domain name(s) you
associate with the actual IP address of that server via the DNS system.
What you DO with a domain name has NOTHING to do with the allocation policy
in technical terms, and has no impact on your physical choice of placement
for your web server(s)

This is a completely different issue to the question of whether the name
allocation policy in any one specific domain is good, bad, or indifferent.

My overall point is that you are obfuscating the issues by mixing the
notion of a retraint of trade with respect to the placement of web servers
in Australia (which is bogus) with the notion of whether an allocation
policy for com.au domain names is appropriate to that domain (which is
probably a worthwhile discussion topic)

I'm going to drop this thread now, because I suspect the only person who
doesn't see my point isn't listening to me, and noone else cares.

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777