Re: DNS: Prospective new domains (tm.au) & (pr.au)

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:56:35 +1000
>>If your [sic] looking

<smile>

>>for "OnRamp" wouldn't it be easier to visit ONRAMP.PR.AU rather than
>>fishing around guessing other possibilities?
>
>If you're looking for "OnRamp" wouldn't it be easier to visit
>"altavista.digital.com" or "www.excite.com".

Would be nice if we had a decent Australian Engine --- coming July 1, 1998!

>The DNS is not a directory service.

You are TOTALLY CORRECT.

>The DNS is not a search engine.

You are TOTALLY CORRECT!

>Any attempts to coerce the DNS into such roles are doomed to failure, as

Problem, as much as I agree with you, is that people USE Domain Names as a
Directory system.  The Average Consumer - whom I speak with hundreds of
that are unaware of my professional capacity - beleive that the URL or
Domain Name IS in fact the way to find someone on the 'Net.

>the DNS was not designed with these features in mind, and is thus unable to
>perform such a role.

Your right.  It was designed to translate a humanly remembereral word or
word sequence into a hard to remember IP address.

So, can we educate the consumer, or do we change the software?

Microsoft and Netscape believe a software change is needed, as do I.  Then
an education factor needs to be invoked.

Lets remember how we look up a phone number.

We know the name of the company:

IBM Australia.

We call Directory Service (most people do, I use the Website)

We ask for IBM.  They don't tell us it's 2 Sussex Street Sydney and hang up
asking us to call again with the address to get the number - do they?

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net