Re: Domain space for humans not corporations. was Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 13:37:41 +1000
>>.PER is a classic example.  It's growth rate in the USA is astounding.
>>Individuals prefer the balance of a PERsonal domain name for themselves.
>>

>I havn't looked at PER but what I was getting at was that each person will

You haven't looked at PER, yet your preapred to make comments about FAKE
DNS and other things.  I can't believe you woudl be so bold.  So uneducated
and so unresearched.

>have their own internet space and the number of such "spaces" will quite
>outweigh those of corporate bodies. What they are called is a detail as
>long as people can control their own domain . Hmm..
>light.fridge.tony-barry.etc :-)

Tony, it's a really NICE idea, but someone has to globally control the
highest possible level or no one will know where to get the information
about lower level domains from.

>>Yep, that's a great example.  But what do you pay for your ID.AU name?
>
>Nothing at the moment. But I do not need the level of support and
>reliability that a huge corporate body needs.

I've sold over 5000 domain names. I have over 10,000 registered to my
servers.  I spend next to NO TIME supporting these names, the only cost if
Traffic and upgrades to the servers.  If they want support they pay a
consulting fee.

I'm sure MIT don't go round building zone files for domain name holders.

>I expect the level of support
>I would have got in the early days of the phone on a party line and  I
>REMEMBER party lines. If and when I need something better I'll pay for it.

Problem is your not paying for it.  And nor is MIT.

>>Ahh.  But you could modify your DNS table to assing the host name to a
>>Dynamic IP address provided by some ISP, who's access account you have
>>"stolen" from a friend, work college, company etc.  Then do your nastyness
>>from that location, later reverting your DNS back to normal.
>
>As I pointed out I'm not a techo.

Yes you did.  And in such case, if you don't need DN support, then why is a
corporate who will obviously EMPLPLOY very Technical people or consultants
like me?

>The capability to knock down doors does
>not imply the wish to do so and certainly does not imply an ability to pick
>locks.

I'm not sure what you mean.  But I'm sure I want you to explain.  Please.

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net