Domain space for humans not corporations. was Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: Antony Barry <tony§tony-barry.emu.id.au>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 20:22:10 +1000
At 12:23 PM 1998/05/15, Adam Todd wrote:
I wrote -
>>In the long term domains like *.id.au are going to be more
>>significant that the fol de rol that happens in the commercial spaces which
>>after all is just a subset of the total society.
>
>I don't think id.au will hold any significance.  I'm not adverse to the
>concept. I just don't feel the community will head in that direction.
>
>.PER is a classic example.  It's growth rate in the USA is astounding.
>Individuals prefer the balance of a PERsonal domain name for themselves.

I havn't looked at PER but what I was getting at was that each person will
have their own internet space and the number of such "spaces" will quite
outweigh those of corporate bodies. What they are called is a detail as
long as people can control their own domain . Hmm..
light.fridge.tony-barry.etc :-)

>Yep, that's a great example.  But what do you pay for your ID.AU name?

Nothing at the moment. But I do not need the level of support and
reliability that a huge corporate body needs. I expect the level of support
I would have got in the early days of the phone on a party line and  I
REMEMBER party lines. If and when I need something better I'll pay for it.

>>As for "untraceable" I would have though the IP number pins hosts down far
>>more that whatever name the DNS maps to it.
>
>Ahh.  But you could modify your DNS table to assing the host name to a
>Dynamic IP address provided by some ISP, who's access account you have
>"stolen" from a friend, work college, company etc.  Then do your nastyness
>from that location, later reverting your DNS back to normal.

As I pointed out I'm not a techo. The capability to knock down doors does
not imply the wish to do so and certainly does not imply an ability to pick
locks.

Tony