Re: DNS: Re: Trademarks and Categories

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:32:16 +1000
Adam Todd wrote:

> Spot on.  That's why using the category numbers in TM.AU to segment the
> trademarks theoretically sounds like a great idea.
>
> Then the question comes to WHY THE HELL DO IT?  Why have:
>
> www.tesltra.1234.tm.au  (1234 being say the category number for telecoms)
>
> www.mcdonalds.5678.tm.au        (5678 being fast food)
[SNIP]
> >My concern with the <name>.NN.tm.au format is that is only partially
> >fulfills the DNS' objective... that of replacing abstract numbers with
> >mnemonics.
>
> :)  Exactly.  And that's why I rejected the option that Simon Higgs put
> forward.  As much as it makes perfect sense, it's useless if you don't
> change the way in which people currently use URLs and DNS.
>
> >However the potential .TM.AU domain has some unusual requirements, it may
> >well be that having a numeric 3ld is necessary in this case.

Why not an alpha mnemonic 3LD for .tm.au?

www.telstra.telecom.tm.au       (telecom being a specific TM division)
www.mcdonalds.restaurant.tm.au  (restuarant being another)
www.mcdonalds.plumbing.tm.au    (etc.)
www.mcdonalds.pharmacy.tm.au

and even

www.coke.food.tm.au             (Coca Cola is happy)
www.coke.mining.tm.au           (BHP might be happy if it has the tm)
www.coke.drug.tm.au             (just kiddin')

I s'pose this implies there will be about 1000 or so
3LD's for .tm.au ... but at least with a tiny guess, you
can locate any trademarked domain in .tm.au

 _/  Richard Welykochy                 mailto:rick&#167;dot.net.au
_/  Dot Communications Ltd             http://www.dot.net.au/world