Re: DNS: Re: Trademarks and Categories

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:36:30 +1000
Rick,

>Why not an alpha mnemonic 3LD for .tm.au?
>
>www.telstra.telecom.tm.au       (telecom being a specific TM division)
>www.mcdonalds.restaurant.tm.au  (restuarant being another)

www.ronald-mcdonald.restaurant.tm.au
www.grimace.restaurant.tm.au

I doubt it.

>www.mcdonalds.plumbing.tm.au    (etc.)
>www.mcdonalds.pharmacy.tm.au

This is great.  Almost.

>www.coke.food.tm.au             (Coca Cola is happy)

Probably not.  They have a number of Trademarks.

www.always.food.com.au		CocaCola is happier ... etc

>www.coke.mining.tm.au           (BHP might be happy if it has the tm)
>www.coke.drug.tm.au             (just kiddin')

>I s'pose this implies there will be about 1000 or so
>3LD's for .tm.au ... but at least with a tiny guess, you
>can locate any trademarked domain in .tm.au

Again, far too many people are talking about trademarks without a knowledge
or understanding of how and what they are.  Other than the fact that are
some kind of Name Protection or Icon preotection.

Trademarks are a little more detailed and less generic than can be put into
a DOMAIN NAME.

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net