Re: Domain space for humans not corporations. was Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: Tony Barry <tony§tony-barry.emu.id.au>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:14:36 +1000
At 1:37 PM 1998/05/20, Adam Todd wrote:
>Tony, it's a really NICE idea, but someone has to globally control the
>highest possible level or no one will know where to get the information
>about lower level domains from.

True and I would think that what you are doing is an example of that lack
of control.

>I've sold over 5000 domain names. I have over 10,000 registered to my
>servers.

It is hard to be motivtated to use your service if I don't know if there
are any interesting sites amongst your 5000. I suspect I am the wrong
person as my interest run to edu, org and gov sites.

>>The capability to knock down doors does
>>not imply the wish to do so and certainly does not imply an ability to pick
>>locks.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean.  But I'm sure I want you to explain.  Please.

I seem to have mislaid the context from the earlier posting. Whatever the
context was I was thinking about security rationale's which must be based
upon capability rather than intent and taking the inverse line to that
reasoning.

Tony

mailto:tonyb&#167;netinfo.com.au | mailto:tony§Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/Tony.Barry
Phone +61 4-1242-0397 or in Australia 041 242-0397
Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra, ACT 2601
Convenor of the link network policy list link&#167;www.anu.edu.au