Re: [DNS] Commercial Interest from a neutral party

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:02:59 +1000
I think it makes a *lot* of sense for the ASX to have a declared interest in
these proceedings. You're already in a relationship with many of the people
who expect to have access to online names.

If we have a problem you can relate to (!) it might be in the question of where
the 'value' in a name resides, and in issues of trading and ownership. Many of
us technocrats want to see names available for cost+margin, which is distinct
from the people with interests in selling names, where the value in the market
is believed to be considerably higher. For myself, I've commented in the past
about the undesireablility of a grey market trading in names. Would the ASX
have an issue here?

I also think that if we pick the eyes out of a NOMINET model, and thus have
a framework for a body that could cast for members, the ASX would be a useful
body to have onside in longterm steerage.

Anybody else got a view?

-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm&#167;dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072