Re: [DNS] Commercial Interest from a neutral party

From: John Kidston <j.kidston§citec.qld.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:27:50 +1000
George Michaelson wrote in response to a posting by Steve Thompson:

> I think it makes a *lot* of sense for the ASX to have a declared
interest in
> these proceedings. You're already in a relationship with many of the
people
> who expect to have access to online names.

While I agree that the ASX can be a very useful player in the
organisation and management of domain naming services,  there may well
be a significant audience who fall outside the ASX's area of interest.
I refer here to proprietary businesses, sole traders, partnerships,
unincorporated joint ventures and the like.  These businesses probably
expect to have equal right to "commercial" domain naming and
registration services.

Perhaps the various Business Names authorities at a State level could
also make a worthwhile contribution, and perhaps the ASX could provide
some useful insights into deling with these bodies.

Could something as simple (or should that be complex) as allocating an
Internet domain name as part of the process of registring a business
name work?

[snip]

> I also think that if we pick the eyes out of a NOMINET model, and thus
have
> a framework for a body that could cast for members, the ASX would be a
useful
> body to have onside in longterm steerage.
>
> Anybody else got a view?

Agreed.  The more the solution integrates with other business
activities, the more likely it is to be successful.

John Kidston             | e-mail: j.kidston&#167;citec.qld.gov.au
Systems Architect        | voice:  +61 7 32222356
CITEC                    | http://www.citec.com.au