DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Stephen Baxter <steve§senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:47:19 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)
[I am not sure of the relevance of this list any longer due to most people
publically stating that it could be abandoned due to it being to turned
into the 'Adam and Jim Show' but here goes anyhow]

Some of our customers have been getting a faxed out flyer from the

Australian and New Zealand Domain Name Registry
Level 1/24 Bayswater rd
Potts Point NSW 2011

regarding 'securing their trading name now'.

it is an add for au.com

I find the add very misleading indeed as it pertians to a very little
chunk of name space but the add seesm to imply impending doom if people do
not take action. Has anybody seen this flyer ?

It uses terms like :

'...protect your trading name...'
'Once it is registered your goodwill is safe'
'..be warned, there are no restrictions...'

I will be contacting consumer affairs in SA and NSW for an opinion as well
but I ask people on this list for their opinion (please note that some
posts get ditched before reaching my mailbox and all I get is a daily
counter of attempts :-) ).

Stephen Baxter             SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
phone : +61 8 8221 5221    222 Grote Street
fax   : +61 8 8221 5220    Adelaide 5000, Australia

(www.ausbone.net - do not go quietly into the night !)