Re: DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:49:56 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Stephen Baxter wrote:

> [I am not sure of the relevance of this list any longer due to most people
> publically stating that it could be abandoned due to it being to turned
> into the 'Adam and Jim Show' but here goes anyhow]

You said it!

> Some of our customers have been getting a faxed out flyer from the
>
> Australian and New Zealand Domain Name Registry
> Level 1/24 Bayswater rd
> Potts Point NSW 2011
>
> regarding 'securing their trading name now'.
>
> it is an add for au.com

It's a bunch of codswallop. Snake oil sales.
I wish I had time to persue these hucksters.
Go for it, Stepehen.

They are misrepresenting themselves as "The Australian
Domain Registration Authority" or some such nonsense.

Also, they do NOT have the same liability as CCA
and Mel.I.T., since, as you point out, they are selling
3LD's tacked onto their own .AU.COM domain.

The moment they stop paying for .AU.COM, thousands
of their customers are SOL ;-)

> I find the add very misleading indeed as it pertians to a very little
> chunk of name space but the add seesm to imply impending doom if people do
> not take action. Has anybody seen this flyer ?
>
> It uses terms like :
>
> '...protect your trading name...'
> 'Once it is registered your goodwill is safe'
> '..be warned, there are no restrictions...'

... but other marketing crap they spew out says:

  You can only register a .AU.COM domain if you are the trademark
  holder or business owner of the name (which is plain silly!
  there are dozens of trademark categories that allow overlaps!)

> I will be contacting consumer affairs in SA and NSW for an opinion as well
> but I ask people on this list for their opinion (please note that some
> posts get ditched before reaching my mailbox and all I get is a daily
> counter of attempts :-) ).

Go for it!

Cheers,
R Welykochy