Re: DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:07:06 +1000
Adam Todd

Please stop writing emails that imply that you have anything to do with
.au.com.

This is not the case.

In fact, please stop writing emails :-)

LMB

At 20:20 17/06/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>   to believe that
>>
>> a. you were not aware of this campaign
>> b. you did not encourage this campaign
>
>Clive I can'ty speak for Larry and his operation, but I can speak for myself.
>
>Recently I was made aware by a Domain Name Licencee about the details in
>how they were sold some 20 domain names.
>
>I asked them to fax me the material that was sent to them to be very shocked.
>
>I approved material in January this year for the reseller to use, of which
>they produced.  It was a 3 page document and was within acceptable
>limitations.
>
>The client faxed to me a document dated March 1998 that was 6 pages long
>and went WAY BEYOND reasonable at all.
>
>>&   "" method they were using to have generated such sales.
>
>As to the method, in my instance I was aware of the methode as far as I had
>two  of my direct staff make "test" enquiries.  Both reported that within
>the first 2 minutes they were put on hold for 60 seconds, then the sales
>person returned.  The story sold to them sounded fair.
>
>A client recorded their conversation and played it to me.  It was VERY VERY
>different.
>
>> a.      Ensure that NONE of your current or future resellers repeat this.
>
>In my instance we are doing this.  It is now a requirement that the client
>or the agent fill in the online application forms.  We no longer accept the
>agents details on the form as they are identified by agent code.
>
>> b.      Ensure that your resellers are trained to provide the FACTS to the
>>consumers.
>
>This isn't the job of the manufacturer.  Really.  You don't see Johnson and
>Johnson going around to Coles Checkout Staff educating them on the way to
>insert a tampon - do you?
>
>>Such as   á       au.com is a Privately owned Domain name á
>
>And so we shodu lalso advertise that a Holden Commodore isn't an offical
>car because it's not a Model T Ford?
>
>> it is NOT a recognized country level domain
>
>I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.  .COM isn't a country
>domain either.  What is your comment about .COM ??
>
>> it is not an accepted country code as is com.au  á
>
>au.com isn't a country code.  At what time did Larry say it was?
>
>>Net registry is not recognized by the
>>existing Internet community as an official Registrar
>
>You might get yourself a law suite from that statement.  Define an "Offical
>Registrar?
>
>I might add my name was bandied for an hour or so around a Congressional
>meeting in the Whitehouse a few weeks ago.  The results have been extremely
>positive for me.  I am recognised as an official entity in my own right.
>
>á       they are
>>buying a 3rd level domain name from a Privately owned Domain name in
>>contrast to com.au which is currently administered by Melbourne IT under
>>the aegis of the .au registrar hence providing legitimacy and longevity á
>
>So we shoudnl't buy Software from Computer stores because they are thrid
> [...]

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043