Re: DNS: Let me get this straight...AU is ONE person ?

From: Jean-Christophe Praud <jc.praud§ludexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:30:44 +0200
Larry Bloch wrote:

> Jean-Christophe
>
> Would you happen to be another Alternate DNS enthusiast (and for clarity I
> mean TLD's not supported by the "legacy" Root Name Servers?

You guess it right.
But I don't think the word "enthusiast" is appropriate...
We are just conscious that new TLDs, and a new DNS management are a
necessity.

> I ask because I noticed http://www.nic.wine  in your signature, and it
> looked like a signature from another cyberfantasy crackpot.
>
> And if your primary interest is along the lines of Adam Todd's AURSC, why
> are you interested in .AU?

.AU is a TLD, isn't it ?
As I'm not Australian, I'm not "interested" in .AU management. I just
wanted to help with a "foreign" point of view.
What does "foreign" means, on the Internet ?

We observe similar issues with all ccTLDs : should they be organized as
a flat name space, or a structured one ? Who should manage them ? What
should be the name registration fees, if any ? Where should the fees go
?
What should be the conditions to register a name : own a trademark, be
legally registered under the same name ?

And probably the most important question : what should be the relations
between TLDs registries ?

It seems national postal services want to take over ccTLDs in a growing
number of countries : USA, Canada, Norway, France, etc, and manage them
like the .US zone.
Shouldn't they at least let a flat space exist, beside a structured one
?

--
Jean-Christophe PRAUD - LUDEXPRESS  http://www.ludexpress.com
http://www.nicwine.net     http://www.nic.wine     3:213 WINE