RE: [DNS] Give Austalian Business a go

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 02:05:51 +1000
> I agree that there needs to be restrictions in place to
> prevent people from registering domain names that would
> allow them to take advantage of someone else's
> pre-exisiting brands, trade marks or goodwill.   I would be
> interested to hear from anyone who disputes that.

There are already laws in place that prohibit passing off, etc.

The real issue which trademark holders refuse to face up to is that
trademarks are NOT unique - there can be multiple users of a trademark
across the 42 trademark classes.  That's how we get Apple records and
Apple computers, Astra margarine and Astra cars, etc.  Not to mention
the fact that McDonalds Plumbing and McDonalds Furniture and McDonalds
Restaurants all legally co-exist.  And McDonalds Plumbing has just as
much right to mcdonalds.com.au as the restaurant chain - first come,
first served.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Director
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
61 4 1374 3959