RE: [DNS] reply to Spring Clean comments

From: Phillip Pudney <phillip§pudney.net.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:16:42 +0930

<snip>

> CASE STUDY as follows:
>
> The domain we are seeking is acfe.edu.au This is for the Australian
> Christian Forum on Education Incorporated (ACFE).
>
> It is my the second attempt at getting an edu.au domain. We initially
> wanted to get jchristian.edu.au which is based on the name of ACFE's main
> journal (Journal of Christian Education) but as you might have
> guessed this
> was rejected.
>
> The publisher of the Journal of Christian Education (JCE) is the
> Australian
> Christian Forum on Education Incorporated (ACFE). This is an educational
> institution which conducts conferences, seminars and public meetings on
> educational issues. It also publishes books and papers on educational
> topics as well as the JCE.
>
> The Journal of Christian Education is a refereed academic international
> journal devoted to the examination of the application of Christian
> principles to the whole field of education. Its subscribers are libraries
> of universities and colleges as well as individual educators in some 20
> countries around the world.
>
> In these ways the ACFE has similarities to institutions like the
> Australian
> College of Education.
>
> I may add that it undertakes activities very similar to other existing
> edu.au sites ie. in particular the Australian Science Teachers
> Association.

<snip>

I've found the domain policy for .edu.au to be extremely warped. My
understanding is that .edu.au seems to be for exclusive use by Universities
only, and anything else must register under <state>.edu.au.

This raises several questions:

(a) isn't the purpose of such a heirachy like this to separate national
organisations from state-based organisations?

(b) what makes a University a national-based organisation, when it operates
within 1 state only?

(c) why can't national-based educational institutions apply for a domain
directly under .edu.au, when state-based ones can?

I mention this simply because of an incident a while ago to do with a
national space school programme, which is run in most states as well as at a
national level. However, the domain was rejected, and I was told that I
should register one for each state. How is this preserving the integrity of
the DNS, when I had to register many domains instead of 1?

I'm not having a dig at GIH, he does a fine job, however it's the policy for
.edu.au registration that needs a serious review if national institutions
require state.edu.au, and state-based institutions don't (it should be
reversed!) Maybe this is something for auda to look into !

On a side note, I've only ever registered 1 .org.au but it only took a few
days. However, I suggest that those applying for .org.au domains who qualify
for .asn.au look into using it instead. I've never had a domain take longer
than 30 minutes to get registered (or rejected)... Maybe MM can give Mr Elz
some tips? ;)

Phillip.