Re: [DNS] fairfax article

From: Mark Tearle <mtearle§tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:22:10 +0800 (WST)
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Simon Hackett wrote:

> My $0.02 is that auDA should be able to come to a timeframe arrangement
> with Robert Elz as and when it is able to, without having to convince the
> media that it has (or has not) convinced the media of having 'earned the
> right' .

Simon has very succintly stated what needs to happen.  A timetable,
and perhaps if need be, a list of requirements that need to be satisfied
to make kre comfortable.  Perhaps a joint statement from auDA and
Robert Elz with regards to this?  I'd sincerely hope we don't arrive at the
situation that the ACA needs to get involved.

On related notes, a plan for long term management of 2LDs in .au does need
to be specified as part of these moves and guidelines for the
interaction between these.

A recent example, mars.org.au, which is the Murdoch (University) Alternate
Reality Society (a SF/gaming club), how did it end up in .org.au?
A more appropriate delegation IMHO would have been under .murdoch.edu.au
(under it's parent organisation) or .asn.au (as a special interest Club)

Another is computing.edu.au  (I'll let people find out who that's delegated
to :) )

My point being inappropriate and legacy domains certainly caused enough
headaches in the .com.au transfer to MIT, some thought as to handling
inter registrar issues under auDA needs to be done.

Yours
Mark
Note: these opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer, etc..
--
Mark Tearle - mtearle&#167;tartarus.uwa.edu.au

Captain Bipto: We did win, didn't we?
Blaznee: No, but if we think fast enough we might just live to lie about it.