RE: [DNS] ABC: Australia supports global cyber-squatting regulat ions

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:26:22 +1100
At 01:07 PM 1/31/00 +0800, WestNet Domains wrote:
>Perhaps a fee per domain.
>
>Another option may be first in best set, as like .com domains.
>eg. fredbloggs.id.au followed by fredbloggs2.id.au

This does imply 'superiority' and from such small beginnings massive
problems flow.

(You can bet that gih.id.au will be far preferred to
  gih1.id.au, gih2,...... and all of a sudden your name
  collision avoidance algorithm starts to have the same properties
  of preference, squatting, speculation......been there done that)

>I agree the emu.id.au is a good format, but the same problem may lie where
>as once freggbloggs&#167;emu.id.au, freggbloggs§wallaby.id.au and so on have been
>used, where do we go from there.

The beauty of the <flora|fauna>.id.au is

a) there are a large number flora and fauna to pick from

and

b) there is no explicit or implict ranking between em - they
     coexist quite happily.

so after emus and wallabies we can use quolls, wattles......