Re: cybersquatting Elz

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:47:21 +1100
Talking about cybersquatting have people read the letter from Robert
Elz to auDA  to be found at
http://www.auda.org.au/docs/letter-com.au.html

I am sorry but enough is enough. Basically he writes to auDA stating
that he is granting them authority over "certain" aspects of the
namespace after clearly stating it is still his and shall remain
his...

"The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority ("IANA") has delegated to me
the authority to manage the .au namespace.

I hereby now delegate to you full authority to manage the .com.au
namespace, which is a subset of the .au namespace (the "Domain").
Your authority includes but is not limited to the authority to:....."

But it gets worse as he then states,

In the event that I am succeeded as the delegated authority for the
.au namespace, my successor shall assume all the rights and
obligations accruing to me under my arrangement with IANA and this
arrangement with you.

His successor? Interesting terminology. Basically it seems he has no
intention of letting go!

If Minister Alston wants to find an issue to follow r.e. reform then
this is a good one. If any of his minions read this list please take
note.....

Matthew King

P.s. Mr Elz if you read this I am not attacking your work in regards
to the development of the Internet in Australia, just your policy as
per the hand over of the au authority to an elected body. If there
are issues or concerns about doing so could you please make them
public so we can discuss them more openly.