Re: [DNS] ABC: Australia supports global cyber-squatting regulations

From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari§ish.com.au>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 12:36:20 +1100
on 1/2/2000 12:15 pm, James Spenceley at jamess&#167;dot.net.au wrote:

> ........but it can be useful
>
> Fddi1-0.chw-core1.Sydney.telstra.net

Absolutely! That is the *whole point* of the domain system - heirarchy.
Otherwise it would utilise less bandwidth to use dotted quad notation and
abandon DNS altogether.

> While I resect the concept of .*.id.au. I *personally* would not like
> emu/wombat within my domain.

Hence the low take-up. Of course, ISPs are not keen that such a system get
off the ground either. See my previous email.

> nsw.id.au or vic.id.au would be more popular.

But unworkable. Again see my previous email. Geography cannot make a good
domain naming system for individuals. Can you think of any non-arbitrary
data that would?

Sure there may be better choices than furry animals, but the problem is the
same. Either have something meaningful (but what?) or something arbitrary.

> The concept was designed for people to move jobs, Internet proviers et all.
> Im  sure if your moving interstate while you contact people to inform them
> of your new phone number, you might like to let them know your domain is now
> vic not nsw <your poor soul> or keep both ?
>
> Where do you draw the line, it is after all .au  ?

Not a bad place to draw the line.

Ari Maniatis

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
email info&#167;ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8