Re: [DNS] Opinion

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:44:16 +1000 (EST)
Kenneth Brownsmith wrote:

] I (myself) don't believe auDA are fit to handle a resource such as the .au
] namespace.
] That is my belief

Why is that?

] A group of around 20 people that are from different parts of any industry to
] display their opinion for the public to vote on.
] E.G:- If a new subdomain is to be included into the namespace, the group of
] people will talk on why and why not this should be done then the proposition
] is put to the public with the members opinions who will vote on the idea.
] -The .au namespace "Belongs to the people" - I think that they should have
] some say in how it works.

This is why auDA has created Panels, to get more of the public involved
in policy making, and for Panels to seek input from the wider community.

] My second belief:
] A website, seperate than aunic, should be setup to make it easier for the
] "average" Australian to get a domain name. (I am not implying that we
] abolish the aunic database)
] >From information that I have gathered, the public don't like having to go to
] INWW for a .com.au domain and Connect.com.au for a .net.au domain.
] A single website should be established to handle the registration ALL of the
] .au subdomains.

One possible outcome from the competition panel process might be that
all registrars are able to register domains in all (or most) *.au 2LDs.
So you could go to INWW and register com.au, net.au, org.au, etc.  Or
you could go to connect.com.au and register com.au, net.au, org.au, etc.
Or possibly any one of dozens (hundreds?) of other registrars.

I'm not trying to pre-empt the decision of the competition panel, or to
tell registrars what they should do.  Just saying this is one possible
future world I can imagine.

If you are particularly interested in how this could work, you might
still be able to put your nomination in to be on the competition panel,
if you do it quickly.  See
	http://www.auda.org.au/panel/competition/
Or you could make suggestions to the panel once it's fully set up (in
a few weeks I expect).

] I would appreciate your comments on my beliefs as if given the chance, would
] like to start/help setup a system like the one above for the good of
] Australia and its people.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management