Re: [DNS] geographic names

From: Don Cameron <dcameron§coolahddg.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:45:35 +1100
Vic, you wrote: "cause I am sick of having to explain to customers that they
cant have the names they want. cause I am sick of people who think they know
better regarding what is good for me or the public when they are clearly
wrong".

Bingo...

Another respondent posting (in good faith mind you), a combination of other
.au names we could have applied for as an alternative to our
coolahddg.com.au domain... as though these other combinations would somehow
both; 1) fit the business and marketing requirements of our 5 year plans and
projections, and 2) be acceptable to our parent organisation.

Whilst I appreciate the good faith in which this was posted, of course the
respondent has no idea of our requirements, of our proposed business
restructures, or the services we will be offering... as it happens none of
the suggestions are suitable... for the sole reason that our business name
does not reflect our services. The Coolah District Development Group Inc.
administers a community Telecentre and a network of not-for-profit Internet
Cafe's.

Out domain name of choice was coolahtelecentre.com.au ... yet we were
refused this because it did not sufficiently reflect our business name...
OK... politics aside, can someone please tell me what would be the crime in
our being "allowed" to register this domain name?... Obviously we have no
desire to register this as a business name (why should we? - it is a trading
name written into our organisational constituion as an NFP organisation - we
are under no legal obligation to register this - it would simply be another
overhead... and we are legally allowed to trade under this name... so why
were we refused to register this?

Perhaps rather than offering alternatives of dubious suitability, could
someone please explain why we could not register this domain (at the time of
registration nobody was able to explain this to our satisfaction despite our
advices over our ability to trade under this name).

Cheers, Don