Re: Violation of internet.com/domainnotes copyright

From: John Davidson <john.davidson§utoronto.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:25:11 -0500
David,

I would urge some caution here - I don't think the US courts view the topic
as simply as Doug suggests. I have not researched the law and don't purport
to provide any advice, but the following is my off-the-cuff understanding of
the law.

The problem with internet and copyright is that going to a web site in
itself could constitute an infringement because the material is copied to
the computer's memory, albeit without the user being conscious of this.

The commonsense view is that there is an implied license to read (although
not necessarily copy) the material on websites - otherwise, the internet
would be unworkable due to copyright law.

The issue under consideration is the hypertext linking. On one view this is
simply an electronic citation and there is nothing wrong with that. On
another view, especially where there is deep linking (ie. avoiding the
referred-to-website's home page and linking direct to the materials) I
believe that some courts have found an infringement. The reasoning is that
there is a wrong there because the advertising (usually) on the homepage has
been avoided. I am not sure that the doctrine of "fair use" is relevant in
cases where hypertext links are provided.

As an aside, the US law firm which sent you the cease and desist email owns
copyright in that text. You may have infringed their copyright by publishing
it on the list!

>From a non-legal viewpoint, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Doesn't
internet.com benefit from increased web traffic to their site?

Regards,
John