[DNS] Friday afternoon

From: <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:32:16 +1000
Andrew

You care enough to respond. It keeps the debate going, because everyone
wants to get the last word in.

The subject may have a question mark, but the body makes very unambiguous
statements.

To be fair, this list is full of windbags (and I include myself, so don't
bother getting upset). Taking what's said on it seriously is a little like
getting into the ring whilst complaining about mud wrestlers.

I guess what got me upset about Joshua's post is that it makes accusations
against my company as if they were fact. Accusations that adversely affect a
number of key industry relationships and our credibility as a company. As it
happens, they are groundless, but we all know that when mud slings, some
sticks. If this is to be a group of peers, then we ought to be treating each
other with the sort of respect we would expect. Its a public forum, lurked
on by our friends in the media, and therefore issues of the nature Joshua
introduced are best dealt with off list until their veracity can be
determined.

I'd like to see this list being a means for peers to cooperate, rather than
have a go at each other. The public consultation on names and competition
came and went without this body even attempting to group into interest
groups to provide joint submissions. If we can't even do that, then what is
our mutual interest in being on this list?

We seem to expect things to get fixed by invisible 'someone', just because
we blow the whistle here, without actually seeing  this lists role as
driving the solution as well as identifying the problem. Well that's not
really good enough. This list ought to be leading the debate on DNS issues
in Australia. It ought to be the definitive reference of who is interested
in making things happen - and it could be if those interested enough to
partake were interested enough to try make a difference.

Anyway, you are quite right, it is Friday, we ought to lighten up; my
apologies to anyone I have offended - in particular Joshua. Have a good
weekend all.

Larry