Re: [DNS] Domain name disput issues - hosting.com.au

From: RIKKI LAMBERT <RXL§finlaysons.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:38:36 +0930
Nigel,

Just an insight - Network Solutions Inc, registrar of .com, .net and .org have shown (by conduct) their inability to manage their allocated domain space.  Numerous .com domain names expired two months ago and are yet to be made available to the public.  Their excuse - increased demand crashed the server.

Why do I bring this up at auDA?
Because the precedent appears to be that incompetency and arbitrariness at the registrar level is not punished.

Rikki

PS re: recent post on vested interests - I am a lawyer at finlaysons.biz, an arm of Finlaysons Lawyers.  We act for numerous clients in relation to domain names, including the approaching .biz and .info names.  Our experience is that familiarity with the DNS is hard gained.  I sincerely hope Australia can be a model for better operation of its DNS than the global DNS.

Rikki Lambert, Lawyer
Email:      rikkilambert&#167;finlaysons.com.au
Website: http://www.finlaysons.com.au
Phone:    +61 8 8235 7400        Fax:  +61 8 8232 2944
Address:  81 Flinders St, Adelaide, South Australia

South Australia - a great place to live and work!

>>> nigel&#167;avs.net.au 08/28/01 09:54pm >>>
Hi Everyone,

I saw that hosting.com.au was available and thought it would be a great name
for me to use. I put in a registration request for hosting.com.au but it was
rejected on the terms of it being a generic word because hosting is a
subcategory of Internet Service Providers. Hosting isn't listed anywhere as
a category but that's a different issue altogether.

I was corresponding with INA to the person that does the appeals so I take
it that hosting.com.au was in the state of appeal. That means that no one
else could register it because I was appealing it.

I got an email just before from INA saying that the previous owner - who let
it expire, be deleted from the aunic database and become available again -
has just registered. He has jumped in front of me and registered the
hosting.com.au domain name.

How did he do this? If I let a domain name expire, be it a generic word or
not, does that give me a lifetime guarantee that I will always have the
right to register that name infront of anyone else? Even if I let it expire
for months and months?

I realise that he registered hosting.com.au under a different policy to the
one that is active today, but if he lets it get deleted from the system
entirely, how can he just waltz in and register the domain in a matter of
hours - while I'm appealing the domain name?

Could someone please explain this to me?

Best Regards,
Nigel Burke

Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient
and may be privileged.

While we have used mimesweeper to alert us to the presence of computer viruses, we
cannot guarantee that this email and any files transmitted with it are free from them.