Re: [DNS] Beware the tricks of domain name registrars

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:34:41 +1000 (EST)
] Beware the tricks of domain name registrars
] http://it.mycareer.com.au/breaking/2001/08/29/FFX4QX40YQC.html
]

The article seems to be confused about registrars and resellers.
There is currently only one registrar for com.au domains, INWW.

I wonder if they have any evidence to support this assertion:
   a small number of registrars are trawling the database of domain name
   owners looking for names about to come up for renewal.

We know a few places are sending a lot of whois queries to AUNIC,
and some of these places also turn out to be used by com.au resellers.
But we don't know for what purpose the queries are being sent.

But the "database of domain name owners" may not be AUNIC.  The
AUNIC database has no information about domain name expiry, and
has never held expiry details.  So perhaps they are referring to
an INWW database or something else.

But apart from those sorts of details, it seemed to be a good article.