RE: [DNS] What exactly is the problem with .AU.COM?

From: Harry Hoholis <webmaster§webaccess.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:39:26 +1000
Darryl,

Some people just love making things up. I believe dictators also
love making things up (someone who rules unconstrained by law).

Basically if you make something up, get everyone to follow it,
and are not accountable for your actions, I suspect that this would
feed anyones appetite for power and domination.

But then again what would I know. Everytime I post on this list I get
accused of defemation, basically making thing up.

So my point is that you can only make things up and get away with it if
you are a dictator. However, historically dictators have never stood up
too well against the test of time, and neither have their followers
or advocates.

Being a dictator however is not easy work. To stay in power a dictator
must ensure political repression or lack of intervention as well as
democratic inaction; must divide resources between repressing
opponents and rewarding loyal followers; and must control the economy
by creating a value system independent of market dynamics.

Now this is not easy. A repressed opponent often leads them to pose as
supporters (after all the repressed opponent must still maintain some sort
of
a living), and posing supporters become the source of imperfect information.
This leads on to imperfect enforcement, as neither the dictator, nor his
followers and advocates, nor the general public can readily trust each
other's promises. The reason is simple, in democracies, people can express
their preferences without fear of punishment, and they can retaliate at the
ballot box against leaders who break their promises. These responses are
hardly perfect solutions to the information and enforcement problems of
any society or industry, but in dictatorships the situation is worse:
people are often too afraid to say what they actually believe, and there
is no easy way to punish a dictator who violates his pledges.

Dictators therefore place more emphasis on building networks of loyalty
to compensate for the weakness of democratic enforcement mechanisms;
they also tend to lash out at bonds of loyalty that allow other members
of society or an industry to enforce agreements potentially at odds
with the dictator's wishes.

Furthermore to increase the available resources to them, they must take
control, to a large degree, of the economy and dictate a value system
that would not be economically viable outside the dictatorship.

So by giving your third level domains away for free I would hazard a guess
that either:

1. You cant see the point of creating an artificial value system that does
not
apply outside of your business (a business that is based on an industry that
is global)
2. You have no aspirations to become a dictator, as you have read your
history.
3. You have better things to do with your time than juggling your resources
between repressing opponents and rewarding loyal followers.
4. All of the above

Harry