[DNS] Internet Name Group and Internet Registrations Australia

From: RIKKI LAMBERT <RXL§finlaysons.com.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:06:42 +0930
When is auDA going to do something about Internet Name Group, and "Internet Registrations Australia"?

I do not suspect I am alone in my opinion that they are being misleading and deceptive and clearly in breach of the Trade Practices Act.  I recall statements in the press that if auDA doesnt do its job in self-regulation of the Internet, the Government should step in.  Perhaps the ACCC needs to be called in to act when auDA is not.

Perhaps people unsure as to whether these organisations are deceptive or not?

In my opinion, they trick people into thinking they (ING/IRA) were the organisation through whom they initially registered the domain name (partly due to their generic names) and the person (often too busy to pay the matter much more attention) simply signs the invoice.

Another misleading aspect is that they do not put in the invoice what the actual expiry date is.  The way domain names work, you can have registered on 1 January 2001 for one year and renew it on 2 January 2001 for another year.  So they trick people into renewing when their domain name is not due for expiry.  The critical thing is: they obtain customers deceptively - since if you renew with ING/IRA, you're likely to stay with them (rather than bother changing to someone else).

It looks to us like a scam and it doesnt look like anything is being done about it.  Where is a press release / public announcement / media coverage decrying this conduct?

I half suspect there will be a clarifying e-mail from the auDA CEO following this post, so I'll leave it there for now.

Rikki

Rikki Lambert, Lawyer
Email:      rikkilambert&#167;finlaysons.com.au
Website: http://www.finlaysons.com.au
Phone:    +61 8 8235 7400        Fax:  +61 8 8232 2944
Address:  81 Flinders St, Adelaide, South Australia

South Australia - a great place to live and work!

>>> Joshua.Rowe&#167;auspost.com.au 10/12/01 01:43pm >>>

The back side of Internet Name Group's latest "Renewal Advice" now warns
people about receiving unsolicited renewal notices ... see below:

http://joshrowe.com/ing01.jpg
http://joshrowe.com/ing02.jpg

Pot-Kettle-Black.

Josh
--
Manager, Technical Development, ePay Project, Australia Post HQ
ph: 03 9204 7335 fax: 03 9204 7556  web: www.postbillpay.com.au

Australia Post is committed to providing our customers with excellent service.  If we can assist you in any way please either telephone 13 13 18 or visit our website www.auspost.com.au.

CAUTION

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify Australia Post immediately by return e-mail to the sender; and (c) please delete the original e-mail.

Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient
and may be privileged.

While we have used mimesweeper to alert us to the presence of computer viruses, we
cannot guarantee that this email and any files transmitted with it are free from them.