Re: [DNS] Privacy

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:20:25 +1000 (EST)
] Clearly I should have spent more time reading the criteria for Privacy
] Commission intervention - my apologies, the start-up date for complaints
] against private companies is in fact 21st December 2001 (I thought they
] commenced a few months ago - my mistake).
]
] However this is probably quite appropriate and an opportunity for us, as it
] means our industry has two months grace in which to identify and rectify all
] of the privacy issues - one thing the Commission does provide is an
] excellent framework on which to build privacy guarantees into an industrial
] Code of Conduct - something that is now more than ever an obvious necessity.

Please bear in mind that the Privacy Amendment is optional for *small*
businesses until Dec 2002.  "Small" means a business or organisation
with annual turnover less than $3 million.  Some (like auDA) may opt-in
to be subject to the Privacy Act anyway (as those who read the report
of the Registrar public meeting where this was discussed would know).