RE: [DNS] Call for Code of Conduct workshop

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:13:21 +1100
Peter,

I think you may have misunderstood.

Firstly, auDA will be convening the first 'Code of Practice' meeting in
December at which initial discussions can take place. If others want to hold
a meeting before them then that is up to them. I thought that this was made
clear at the public meeting to discuss the Registrar agreement but maybe I
am wrong. It is, however, in the minutes of that meeting.

Secondly, we are not seeking to impose a Code of Practice. What we have
published is an interim COP, which is subject to comment etc. It is the
first step in the process. MIT have said that they will follow it (from
today) but it will change and develop over time.

Thirdly, you have a choice as to whether you become a Registrar or not. If
you decide to then you must abide by the terms of the Registrar Agreement .
Over time, a Code of Practice will be developed which may well replace some
of the clauses of the Registrar Agreement. The Registrar Agreement and
auDA's published policies prevail. You are not forced to become a Registrar
and you should not enter into the agreement unless you agree to be bound by
the terms.

I hope that has cleared things up but if you have any other queries, please
let me know.

Regards,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA