RE: [DNS] INTERNET.COM.AU

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:24:41 +1100
> I would be quite happy to sit on a panel and allocate generic domain names
> at no charge.

And presumably then you'd be quite happy to wear lawsuits you might get as a
result of your decisions.

Basically, there are two options:

1.  Devise an objective set of criteria to decide upon the allocation of
domain names (generic or otherwise).  If you have an objective set of
criteria to decide if "the domain name is being utilised for its generic
nature" then please post them to the list - I'd sure like to see them.

2.  Use subjective criteria to make the decisions.  In which case, batten
down the hatches and prepare for the storm of opprobrium from everyone who
thinks you've made the wrong decision.  What level of legal indemnity will
you have?  What will be the dispute resolution process?  What will the cost
of the decision process be?

For example, as far as I can tell from the rather waffly defined criteria of
"domain name being utilised for its generic nature", then Adrian Stephan
won't be eligible for logistics.com.au.  I have this sneaking suspicion that
Adrian would be no happier being told by your panel that he can't have
logistics.com.au as he is having been told that he can't have it under the
old generic names policy.  So you need to have a policy to deal with these
disputes.  What is it?

Ideas such as "the main criteria for being approved should be that the
domain name is being utilised for its generic nature" fall into the category
of "gee, wouldn't it be nice".  To change them into implementamentable ideas
requires moving them from "gee, wouldn't it be nice" to "this is the nitty
gritty detail of how it would work".  That may be possible for this
suggestion for generic names - (I personally don't think it can be done, but
I may be wrong) - so its up to the proponents to think thru the details and
propose them.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959

http://www.auda.org.au/docs/registrar-eoi-policy.pdf. My business
>> | qould have been registered 10 years and i'm sure Internet and
Australian

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/