RE: [DNS] DNS List

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:24:37 +1100

Hello Jon

|> I just don't see why auDA directors and staff should have to spend
time
|> and effort administering a mailing list that includes people that are
unwilling
|> to be financial members of the organisation.  Presumably people could
be
|> admitted to the mailing list as soon as their membership applications
were
|> received to avoid any undue delay.

It may be we have different opinions on what is required to maintain a
mailing list.  My company runs a number of them and has done for a few
years, we have never found mailing list administration to be resource
hungry.  The effort required to maintain this list is far outweighed by
the public face it presents and the opportunity for the public to become
more aware of AuDA and .au name space issues.  Although as you suggest
allowing potential members posting rights whilst awaiting membership
approval may solve one problem with the idea of a closed list, it does
open the door to abusive use of the privilege.   I still feel
maintaining two lists, one public and one closed, would serve the
Australian .au name space far more.

|> I feel very strongly that the success of auDA is dependent on it
having
|> a broad membership base.  I probably don't even really need to
mention the
|> glaring example that is ICANN of what can happen to an organisation
without
|> an effective or broad membership base...I think this is one of many
ways
|> in which to create real incentives to people to join to increase that
membership
|> base.

I too would say AuDA requires a broad membership base, however, I do
feel limiting public participation is going to assist that.  I suggest
that more outreach is required, not limiting it.  The incentive to join
as you suggest could be achieved by adding a restricted membership list.
One where the Directors and staff would feel comfortable with
participating.  It does not require the closing or restructuring of this
public list to have the outcome you desire.

|> There are currently 152 members listed at auda.org.au.  This list has
311
|> subscribers.

It would certainly appear AuDA requires to do some substantial work in
recruiting wider participation.  There needs to be more awareness raised
in the community about the efforts undertaken and the benefits
participation may achieve for the name space.  I feel closing a public
list would not achieve the desired outcome.  If any of the 311
subscribers to this list wished to join AuDa, they would already have
applied.  I have.  I think closing the list would only serve to isolate
AuDa more.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.