Re: [DNS] DNS List

From: Galen Townson <galen§townson.net>
Date: 22 Mar 2002 00:45:11 -0000
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Morning Chris, and Others Although I've been less then enthused by recent banter (*sigh*) I am hesitant to support significant changes to the list. > Yesterday afternoon several 'contributors' to this list were removed > from the list. You'll all guess who they were and why they were removed. > It now transpires that at least one of them by his own admission, 'has > no interest in the DNS, doesn't know what anyone is talking about, and > was only on the list because he was asked to join to stir up trouble and > have some fun'. > > I have received legal advice that auDA could be liable for comments made > by participants on the list as it is technically auDA that publishes the > list. This is of some concern given the sort of contributions we have > all experienced over the last few weeks. I am not prepared to put auDA > at risk in this way. I felt the list policy was clear enough, but then again the law relative to justice and fairness often doesn't make sense to me. "the DNS list is not operated by auDA, nor is it an official communications channel of auDA. auDA kindly provides the hosting facilities for the list, but posts to this list do not necessarily reflect the opinions of auDA." - http://auda.org.au/list/dns/ > As I see it, these are the alternatives:- > > 1. Have the list moderated either by checking contributions before > they are posted or in some other way such as limiting the number of > posts per day for those who appear to be abusing the list. The topic and feelings surrounding keeping the list unmoderated for open and uncensored discussions have already been well argued in the past, so I won't enter that debate again. > 2. Introduce some new rules for the list, the breach of which would > lead to removal. These might include things such as no pseudonyms, no > fake email addresses, no personal attacks etc. I'm supportive of better guidelines/policies for list participation, but wouldn't go as far as disallowing pseudonyms and alias/masked email addresses. These may be needed for those wanting to participate as an individual in discussions but whose identify and occupation limits their open involvment, eg. perceived conflict of interests with employers. When you say fake email did you mean email such as hotmail, etc. where identity is not clear? I would imagine faked email addresses should be limited by the email subscription process, which could be re-applied as needed to verify working addresses. > These rules would be > included on the application form and the submission of the form would > oblige the member to abide by the rules. The form would also need to > include an indemnity to auDA against any liability arising from comments > made on the list. All current participants would need to complete a form > as well as new ones. Agreed, a good idea. Perhaps also something to address privacy issues for the list, given current legislation, eg. explicit advice of intended use of email addresses in providing the list service. > 3. Cut the DNS List loose by providing a couple of weeks warning > that we will cease to host and thus allowing someone else to pick up the > responsibility if they want. Meanwhile, we would set up a new auDA > discussion list open to auDA members, registry, registrar and > re-sellers. Importantly, I feel the stakeholders of .au domains and issues are far wider than auDA Members (although it would be nice if more decided to join). As such, we should do our best to include and remain open to anyone interested in hearing or participating in discussions. Perhaps if we use the approach taken by ISPs and Carriers whom are implicitly distanced from content issues in providing only the hosting service without knowledge of its content (take-down notices, etc. still applying). Maybe a kindly iiISP will again host the DNS list? ;o) Galen galen&#167;townson.net +61 4133 88998 > Ultimately, whilst auDA facilitates this list and is legally responsible > for it, it is provided for the benefit of subscribers and so I would > welcome your considered input on the above and any constructive > alternative solutions you can come up with. > > Regards, > > Chris Disspain > > CEO - auDA > > <mailto:ceo&#167;auda.org.au> ceo§auda.org.au > > <http://www.auda.org.au> www.auda.org.au Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 00:00:00 UTC