RE: [DNS] Internet Name Group

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:09:39 +1000
> I wonder if what they are doing is legal

> It is a question you would probably have to ask to the CEO of auDA

No.  Its a question you would have to ask the ACCC or relevant govt
departments such as your state Dept of Fair Trading.

A refresher for those with short memories or a poor understanding of
Australian law:

* consumer protection is the ACCC / government department's role.

* managing the .au namespace is auDA's role.  auDA can NOT rule on whether a
particular marketing practice is 'legal'.  auDA can (within limits)
implement contracts / agreements that have some consumer protection built
in.  There are limits to what they can do because as a monopoly, they can't
do things that unduly restrict competition.  In its current position as a
monopoly, Melbourne IT has similar legal problems about kicking out
resellers.

Once the new system is implemented and competition is introduced with the
new Registry / Registrar system:

* each Registrar will have more power to stop doing business with a reseller
than Melbourne IT currently has with its resellers
* auDA will have more control as it will have contracts with the Registrars
that specify certain things to do with Registrars & their Resellers

auDA's new whois policy is evidence of the tough stance it is taking on
consumer protection - auDA will be making less information available than
the gTLD and almost all other ccTLD Registries.

Also please remember that anyone can approach a domain name holder and offer
to manage their domain name - they don't have to be a Registrar or a
Reseller to do so.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/
author, further information at the above URL.  (315 subscribers.)