Re: [DNS] Where to find?

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:56:40 +1000 (EST)
] For example why is it not possible for aunic to obtain
] the rights to aunic.net.au and aunic.com.au. I think a
] good lawyer would soon provide a solution. How can
] auDA let this continue.

(1) AUNIC has a perfectly good domain name, aunic.net

(2) www.aunic.net.au and www.aunic.com.au both have at the
    top of the web page:
      If you arrived here expecting the Australian Network
	  Information Centre (aunic) Click Here
    So it would be hard to argue passing off etc.

(3) AUNIC does not suffer any economic loss by some other
    random person having a similar looking domain name.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I've been told that this would
    make it difficult to convince courts to intervene.

However, once the new regime is in place (which shouldn't
be long now) one of the components of it will be the AUDRP.
This will open up new options...

] When issues such as these are brought up are they
] voted on by the board. Are there minutes of meeting
] available. If correspondence is entered into with auDA
] must it be entered into the minutes and discussed
] properly.

If people can find auction results which are supposed to
be private (and hopefully are private now), I'm sure they
can find the minutes which are supposed to be public.
(Or maybe people would be more interested if we pretended
the minutes were secret...)

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management