RE: [DNS] Interesting IRA

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:35:15 +1000
Hello Ron,

> They proudly proclaim to be "a fully licensed channel partner
> of Melbourne
> IT",

There is no such thing as a "licensed channel partner".  Melbourne IT has a
reseller agreement with resellers, and hence a company could describe itself
as an "authorised reseller".  We do not licence resellers.

The term "channel partner" is often used in the IT industry to describe
members of a distribution channel (for example see:
http://www.optus.com.au/Vign/ViewMgmt/display/0,2627,3_18278--View_299,00.ht
ml).  As the term "partner" has a specific legal meaning, Melbourne IT is
progressively discontinuing the use of the term "channel partner" on its
websites etc.

> and offer to "renew your domain name through us until
> February 2005"

A domain name may only be renewed for a 2 year period.  Thus a name renewed
in May 2002, would expire in May 2004.  A name may only be renewed within 60
days of expiry.

A registrant's agent (reseller) may offer a servide to renew a licence when
it becomes due for renewal, but this should be clearly stated in any
marketing material.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin