Re: [DNS] New 2LDs

From: Michael-Pappas <auda§michael-pappas.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:15:16 +1000 (EST)
>>Pappas               biz.au, info.au
>
> biz sound like com to me, why do we need both?>

After talking and more importantly listening to may people who register
via Click'nGo! and our reseller services I have constantly been asked
about these two domains.
You say that it's creating more conflict, well I feel that it would fill a
void that exists already in registrants minds.
Now globally we have .biz and .info which slowly but surly individuals and
companies are taking up here in Australia.
Smaller business feel that they need to protect there name on the internet
but a the moment find that they are hit with notices say that they should
get every level under the sun... .com, .net, .com.au, .biz, .bz, .mx, .tv
etc etc... the marketing push makes these people feel inadequate in the
DNS.
I have simply proposed to protect the interest of these people and there
chosen level.
They choose to get and market with .com, protection is easy and at
mimimual $. Get the .com.au as well.
They choose to get and market with .net.au, protection is easy and at
mimimual $. Get the .net as well.
They choose to get and market with .org.au, protection is easy and
mimimual $. Get the .org as well.
etc etc..

Now if they choose to go with .biz or .info, what is there no protecting
there name of give them a feeling of name protection. Nothing... I have
taken call from people saying that they have a .info domain name and want
a .info.au, I tell them that it's not available and they fall down in
confusion telling me that they were told that it's a good idea to get the
name....
The perception that gTLD and ccTLD, espically in our domain space, exist
together and correlate for this protection is an ingrain thought.
With this I believe that asn.au will go no where are this thought of
protection is not available and I can't see .asn becoming a reality soon
so people will choose what is there to register and directly correlates
with a world norm...
Now weather of not .biz should have been choose in the first place is
anther question but it is, it's in use and people do want it regardless of
the arguments to the contrary.
> shouldn't auDA be looking at limiting
> it's  liability where conflict is concerned, rather than creating more?

I do not see how reinstating the .info.au domain space & create .biz.au on
the same lines and rules as .com.au and .net.au create more liability in
conflict for the auDA.. but rather help divide the separate name spaces.
.com.au & .com
.net.au & .net
.org.au & .org
.biz.au & .biz
.info.au & .info

You might just find that people don't fight over names in differing spaces
if they feel secure in the one that they chose to use.
Feeling secure in ones self can be a great thing...

Regards,

Michael-Pappas