Re: [DNS] New 2LDs

From: Adam Todd <auda§todd.inoz.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:42:53 +1000
>Patterson            Proposal to create several new 2LDs

Why?

>Lim                  aom.au (adult oriented material)

Might be useful, but adult content providers are for the most case either
scammers or very few are proper and serious.  If they are serious, their
web sites are secure and prevent nasty exploitation.  Those that scam and
run links sites are going to shove them anywhere and as often as possible
even under ISP user directories, so there is little point.

Unless aom.au is going to provide a free directory of entries and adverts,
very much Yellowpages in style - with NO additional costs - it's pretty
useless.

>Pappas               biz.au, info.au

biz sound like com to me, why do we need both?  Or is biz to be used by
business names, in which case, shouldn't auDA be looking at limiting it's
liability where conflict is concerned, rather than creating more?

>Catholic Church      catholic.au

I thought org.au catered for this?  Can't they just use cath.org.au and
create sub domains for each other catholic organisation?  It's shorter than
catholic,.org.au and last time I checked, religious denominations didn't
get special listings in the Yellow pages.

Maybe we'd better also approach the Anglicans, Mormons, Church of
Scientology, Buddists, Muslims etc.

We don't want a Holy War in Australia because the Catholics got a domain
name and the Muslims didn't.

>ANCA                 club.au

They already have a name space under org.au or asn.au I forget.  It's a
well built web site and works well, they just need to delegate third level
domain names like any already existing name space.

>Tearle               conf.au

Doesn't this already exist?

;; ANSWER SECTION:
conf.au.                22h47m54s IN SOA  munnari.OZ.au.
hostmaster.munnari.OZ.au. (
                                         2002062400      ; serial
                                         6H              ; refresh
                                         1H              ; retry
                                         3W              ; expiry
                                         1D )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
conf.au.                11h59m54s IN NS  munnari.OZ.au.
conf.au.                11h59m54s IN NS  mulga.cs.mu.OZ.au.
conf.au.                11h59m54s IN NS  rip.psg.COM.

So it doesn't need to be created.

>Law Council          law.au

Get real.  Might as well create realestate.au and doctors.au and
builders.au - gosh the builders will want union control too, watch our
auDA, you can't compete with that Royal Commission!

>Kumria               med.au (medical), emb.au (embassies), conf.au

emb.au is a good idea.  To be honest, it should be .emb created by ICANN
and delegated to the National Embassy administration of each country.  That
way a universal identity can be created that people will know throughout
the world.

perhaps auDA can suggest that?

med.au is a silly idea. conf already exists.

>Pharmacy Guild       pharmacy.au

No, not another, this is silly too.  Healthnet already exists, as does
Mednet, creating another is merely creating more political crap for auDA
and the name space.

>AVCC                 research.au
>AVCC                 uni.au, university.au

They already have edu.au, are they now saying it's not good enough?

University use to be synonymous with research, I suppose the Government of
the last 30 years have diluted the system so much to get the unemployed off
the streets (hidden unemployed) and into life time education, that edu.au
no longer means education and research, but just bums on seats to pay the
Vice Chancellors wages.

>Aust Retailers Assn  retail.au

Oh great, so we'll have coles. retail.au and woolworths.retail.au and no
one else can get a name.  Nope, I think that's a bad idea. They can have
retail.asn.au after all they are an ASSOCIATION.  Right?

>3 different entities 3 different submissions (with some commonality) all
>proposing geographic 2LDs - e.g. nsw.au, qld.au

Yes, this is a GREAT idea.  Solves the business name conflict, solves the
regional town name conflict - as many states have common town
names.  Councils can register in that name space as well.

There you go, someone can take my comments, incorporate them into a
submission and become famous.