Re: [DNS] RE: bizcatalyst.com.au

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:37:15 +0100
From http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_bnames_rights

<snip>
Rights attached to a Business Name

A Business Name does not confer ownership rights. It exists in name and
registration only. A Business name is not a trademark. A trademark is a
word, picture or symbol used to identify goods or services. Contact IP Australia
for further information on trademarks.

Protection
Registering a Business Name means being added to a public registry of names
of businesses conducted from premises within Victoria. Protecting a business
name is done using other legal avenues. Contact your solicitor concerning
this matter.
Since it is not a corporate body a Business Name:

    * is not a legal entity;
    * cannot incur or have legal rights or obligations;
    * cannot enter into contracts in its own name;
    * cannot sue or be sued;
    * cannot own assets.
</snip>

...note the last point.