RE: [DNS] Generic frenzy!

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:59:10 +1000

> My associate is willing to pay $500 dollars for a
> generic but wanted to know if I could guarantee
> securing it. I said sure we'll preregister through all
> of the registrars. Worse case $500 out of pocket. 95%
> chance of getting the domain. Am I allowed to do this?

You also need to consider that there may be multiple applications received
by each registrar for the same name, and it will depend on how they order
their queues.  So if 10 people want the same name, they each use every
registrar and each registrar has a system of equal performance, you could
have a 10% chance of securing the name.  If you are the only one that wants
the name (which you won't know in advance), then it doesn't matter whether
you use one or more registrars, the probability is 100%.

So basically - DO NOT guarantee that you can get the name.

Regards,
Bruce