RE: [DNS] Generic Rigged?

From: <ian.johnston§setel.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:01:51 +1000
Bruce

I appreciate some of the points you have made in relation to Chris Disspain's
email (in response to mine).  There are a number of points that I'll address
later.  I address some now.

You say: Instead of assuming a process such as generics is rigged, it would be
appropriate to acknowledge that there are still teething problems for all
parties, and we are working together to resolve them.

At the heart of my concerns are competition and consumer issues.

(Any questions of rigging or manipulation of the process is for auDA to address.
Any technical deficiencies in the registry/registrar systems that impeded
competition between consumers and/or registrars is also for auDA to address.
Any questions or deficiencies might also be addressed by the Australian
Competition and Consumer Commission, if complaints were lodged with it.)

I am raising questions about the fairness, equity and consistency in the
application of the policy on eligibility for generic names and consequential
outcomes of the first-come first-served allocation process from a consumer
perspective.

I have done so on the basis of a public admission by a registrar, and claim by
that registrar that other registrars also breached rules.  Also a series of
emails to the DNS list -- with the Subject "[DNS] And The Winner Is!" -- raised
questions about registrations of diverse domain names to individual and related
businesses.

In summary there are issues about policy application, possible technical
deficiencies, implications for competitive processes, consequential outcomes and
any remedies for effected consumers and auDA's willingness to account
transparently and publicly.

These issues may be about perceptions.  Chris's response below -- If auDA
considers it appropriate to make a public statement about any of these matters
it will do so. -- does little to address perceptions and instil confidence in
the industry self-regulatory regime.

Regards

Ian

--
Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre (SETEL)

SETEL is a national small business consumer association
advancing the interest of Australian small business
as telecommunications and e-commerce consumers