Re: [DNS] Consumer Alert

From: Nicholas Bolton <nick§bottledomains.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:28:34 +1100
Hi Vic,

Thanks for the email.  The use of software is not indicative of a
reseller, are your virtual registrars bound by the auDA reseller terms
solely because they use your software?  None the less, you should be
commended for your sleuthing.  Uregister integrated our software prior
to the .au accreditation of Bottle Domains.  At that stage they were
treated as a testbed 'reseller', and we previously used their
integration to promote our software (given the calibre of their
installation).

Once Bottle Domains was accredited as a .au registrar, uregister were
reduced to a .au affiliate (they chose not to complete our reseller
agreement at that time).  They therefore acted only as a third party
referral of business, this is legally very different to a reseller from
our perspective.  I don't think we need to publicly state this, however
domain applications which have been clearly channeled through this
particular referral (that's not to say there have been any), have been
refused/suspended whilst unresolved issues between auDA and uregister
exist.

However I will raise this general point again.  Walking away from
organisations who have breached auDA policy in the past (as a lot of
them have, all be it minor), is the easy way out.  Wouldn't an ideal
world have a responsible registrar take it upon themselves to regulate
such troublesome organisations through the correct industry channels
and not palm off to others?

Can you give me an example of any case where an organisation has been
successfully refused sale by all registrars industrywide (auDA
enforcements excepted)?  Surely top registrars (enetica included) are
better able to handle such organisations with our dedicated legal and
reseller staff, than some of the smaller registrars.  Shouldn't we lead
by example to show our dedication to the policy that sets our domain
space apart from the rest of the world?

It's very easy to wipe your hands of something that's dirty.  Not so
easy to clean it.

Bottle Domains is made up of many talented staff who have significant
experience in the .au industry, and believe that we have a lot too
offer the industry in its growth and education of new policy.  I will
defend greatly any claims that our decisions are driven solely by the
quest for revenue.  Innovation is the key to success in our industry,
it shouldn't be a PR game.

Good luck with your business.

Nick